Powered By Blogger

Saturday 12 September 2020

The Cup Returns - Sunderland RCA vs. Durham City

Action in front of the stand at Meadow Park with the chimney from the old pumping house in the background
I had planned to spend the Easter weekend taking in a lot of games in Newcastle but Covid put pay to that. So once people were allowed back in grounds and the FA Cup draw was made, I opted to have another go. I had planned to visit Hebburn but upon discovering that Sunderland RCA were 100% having printed programmes my plans changed. My parents lived in Sunderland for a while and always spoke very highly of the place and I had enjoyed my break with them there. Oddly the two sides had played each other in pre season with Sunderland RCA winning 5-1.

Kick off of the season proper
Durham are kicking downhill in the first half but they still fall behind before equalising quickly with a free kick. Sunderland make better use of the slope and score twice to progress to the next round.

View from the grass bank at the far end
There are occasional trains from Kings Cross direct to Sunderland which take three and a half hours but these are quite infrequent. It is probably easier to go to Newcastle and then use the metro to get to Sunderland. If you have a bit of time in the city centre then you have to visit the fantastic Ship Isis which has a great selection of ales and craft beers. If you're heading straight to the ground then you want to get off at the Park Lane Metro stop. From here you can catch the 60 bus which flies down to just around the corner from the ground in around ten minutes. Close to the ground is The Guide Post which had a choice of ales. The entrance to the ground is in a newish looking housing estate which made me think I'd gone the wrong way. The club were very welcoming and the clubhouse had the usual selection of drinks. A brill start to the season and my North East adventure!


Durham attacking in the first half


No comments: