Powered By Blogger

Sunday 12 January 2020

Anvils Flatten Bears In Second Half - Broadbridge Heath vs. Crawley Down Gatwick

Clubhouse at the new ground
Again, the weather got me nervous about my choice of game. My first choice was to finally get to Malmesbury Victoria but with rain due in the week I then changed to Shefford Town and Campton but again the weather forecast changed. I therefore settled on Broadbridge Heath as I would be able to get to Horsham if this game was off. Of course Malesmbury and Shefford went ahead. It's well known that this is Broadbridge Heath's first season at their new ground having moved from the Leisure Centre next door. When I started hopping, The Sussex League as it was then was one of favourites with so many seaside grounds and so new ticks are rare in the top two divisions at least. I now just have Loxwood and Alfold left both which will almost certainly involve a taxi ride. Broadbridge Heath were today playing Crawley Down Gatwick with both sides being around mid table.

Kick off on the very edge of Horsham
I forgot my notebook so the match report will be fairly brief! The game has a very steady start and mid way through the half Broadbridge Heath take the lead when the ball is slid in at the far post. They are almost gifted a second as the Crawley Down keeper spills the ball before his defence bails him out and scrambles the ball away.

Crawley Down get the ball away
Crawley Down equalise as an attack isn't fully cleared and when the ball is put back into the area it is headed in at the far post. They complete the turn around with a shot that is bend past the keeper by the attacker. Crawley Down add a late third to seal the points.

Broadbridge Heath attack in the second half
As I mentioned at the start, Broadbridge Heath is on the edge of Horsham and this time I took a train from Victoria taking just under an hour. While in Horsham I popped into The Brewhouse and Kitchen which had the usual great selection of ales and beers. I had intended to take the 68 to Broadbridge Heath but as this didn't seem to be running I took the 93 which conveniently dropped me off at The Shelley Arms which had a good selection of beers and the sports channels. The ground is then a brisk ten minute walk away. The clubhouse at the ground had a wider than usual selection of beers and the club seem really settled into their new home.




Seating at the old ground next door


No comments: